Google Search

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

'Average Joe' Candidate says Dems, GOP Manipulate the System (ContributorNetwork)

How can someone who considers himself an "average joe" run for president of the United States? Ask Matthew Gerwitz. With a conservative but non-conforming platform, the unknown "joe" has joined the 2012 race, as yet independent from any party affiliation.

In a previous Yahoo interview, Gerwitz gave his view of the U.S. Supreme Court and what to look for in a president. Today, he answers more questions.

Q: You state on your website that the two major parties manipulate the political election system for their own benefit. Can you give an example?

A: Say I was running Republican...if it even looked like any average joe could come close to winning, the GOP would probably change the rules so that I couldn't become the "establishment" candidate. They have a definite idea of whose "turn" it is. I feel that's how Bob Dole and George W. Bush got the nomination. What goes on in the two-party system has got to change.

Q: Do you think a conservative woman could ever win the presidency?

A: I think Palin or Michelle Bachmann could win, if they won the GOP nomination. Ideas win elections. We've seen that. Even though we think no one besides conservatives might vote for them, if one of them has the right message at the right time like President Obama had the message of change, they could win.

Q: Do you consider yourself a tea partier, or has any Tea Party affiliate approached you offering support?

A: I would consider myself a tea partier. No one has approached me yet, although I've sent some information about myself to Tea Party affiliates.

Q: You have a full plate at home, working three jobs--writer, guitar teacher, pastor--plus having helped your wife homeschool your children. What made you decide to run for president?

A: Even back when I was 18, I made jokes about running for office. But years later, after George W. Bush signed the prescription drug plan [2003, including prescriptions for seniors in Medicare but seen as a huge benefit to drug companies], I realized politicians would never change and began praying about what I could do.

On a sightseeing trip to Gettysburg, I stood at the historic location of a Civil War hospital. I could feel the death. More soldiers died at Gettysburg than in all the years of the Iraq war. Sadness overwhelmed me. I felt the Lord saying, "Are you going to be obedient?" But I ignored him.

The next Sunday, I was teaching a class at church about people needing a vision for their lives. Hosea 4:6 says, "Without vision, my people perish." The Lord asked me again to be obedient.

A week later, it just came tumbling out of my mouth. "I'm going to run for president."

Q: As a Christian pastor running for office, how would you address accusations of "homophobia" and "hate"?

A: Many people use the name "Christian" carelessly when they aren't really one [haven't actively accepted and professed Jesus as Lord, Saviour and leader over their life]. And they mistreat people in the name of what they think is Christianity.

A genuine, true follower of Christ knows what the Bible says about needing to love all people while not necessarily believing that everything people do is okay. Disagreeing is not hate. But many Christians haven't voiced this in the right manner. If we read in the Bible that something is a sin, and that sin hurts people, then we feel we are doing right by kindly telling someone so. If I correct my children for improper behavior, does that mean I hate them?

By the same token -- if the definition of "hate" is defined by those who make generalizations against Christians, then these others are acting just as "hateful" as the Christians they accuse.

See Gerwitz's July 4 You Tube video explaining the national debt ceiling, and stay tuned to the Yahoo Contributor Network for a third interview, discussing the pullout of troops from Afghanistan and other issues.

Sheryl Young has been freelance writing for newspapers, magazines, organizations and websites since 1997. Her specialty is American politics, education and society as they intersect with religion. Credits include Community Columnist for the Tampa Tribune Newspaper, Interview Columnist with Light & Life Magazine, and a National First Place "Roaring Lambs" Writing Award from the Amy Foundation.

(Disclosure of acquaintance: The writer and candidate are previous writing acquaintances, with the candidate inviting this writer to do the interviews. However, the writer is not receiving any form of remuneration from the candidate, nor is she working for, or personally endorsing, his campaign.)


View the original article here