Google Search

Monday, September 26, 2011

Is Congress Capable of Getting Anything Done in a Timely Manner? (ContributorNetwork)

COMMENTARY | What is Congress doing? That was my first question when I read that the disaster aid bill passed by the House was blocked by the Senate. I know the House is led by Republicans and the Senate is led by Democrats. The Senate voted primarily along party lines. This means Republican's passed the bill in the House and Democrats refused to pass the bill in the Senate. That's got to be a huge blow to everyone suffering from the recent natural disasters.

Of course, it's not so much the refusal to pass the disaster aid bill. It's more Congress' refusal to pass anything. Everything passed this year has been passed just as the clock was set to expire. That's not the making of an efficient government. In fact, I think this is the most inefficient government I've ever seen.

It narrowly averted a shutdown and debt limit breach in August only to have to revisit the high deficit and a potential shutdown in September. If it does pass a measure to keep the government open it will only last until Nov. 18.

Doesn't Congress have anything better to do than keep revisiting the same issues? I don't want to see this budget issue come up again in November, then in December and January. In fact, it could keep doing this until the end of this presidential term. In which case, I'm pretty sure Obama wouldn't see a second term. I'm not sure he'll see a second term anyway. His idea of "hope and change" certainly wasn't my idea of hope and change.

I do know that I'm sick and tired of reading about the same issues. The federal deficit, the budget, and the disaster aid relief should have been decided and settled months ago. You'd think with a split party Congress they'd come up with some awesome compromises that would benefit the American people by reducing the deficit, helping those who have been harmed by natural disasters, create jobs, and reduce unemployment. Instead, I guess they're just focused on the 2012 elections, their own salaries, and pork.

Congress is just simply not getting anything done. Along with the disaster aid bill, Congress needs to pass 12 other financial bills before Oct. 1. It has one week to do it. I think it will get it done, but I think it will get it done on Sept. 30 at 11:59 p.m., and I, along with the rest of the American people, will be livid.


View the original article here